The Parsippany-Troy Hills Pubic Library System is seeking a Part Time Librarian (Civil Service Librarian 1) to join the Information Services Department at the Main Library. Responsibilities include staffing the Information Desk, reference and readers’ advisory service, technology instruction and troubleshooting, and other duties as assigned by the Information Services Manager.
The schedule will be 18-20 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours. The preferred candidate will hold an MLS/MLIS degree but MLS/MLIS students will be considered.
Position Title – Part Time Reference Librarian
Location – Main Library 449 Halsey Road, Parsippany, NJ 07054 Department – Reference
Supervisor – Head of Information Services
Salary – $20.00 – 25.00/hour depending on experience and education Schedule – 20 hours per week
- Cover the reference desk and offer support to patrons with reference and technical questions.
- Assist patrons with research, web searching, and computer software/programs.
- Notify the Information Services Manager when supplies are running low/needed.
- Makes recommendations for the ongoing collection development process.
- Enroll new patrons in the system and set up new library cards.
- Covers the circulation desk if needed.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Performs other duties to support the library system.
- Enforce Library rules of conduct and policies with Patrons.
- Experience with MAIN a plus.
- MLS/MLIS Degree
- A valid Certification as a Professional Librarian issued by Thomas Edison State University, or the ability to obtain the Certificate within 6 months of appointment.
- 1-2 years of experience in a public library setting.
- Knowledge of current trends in library technology.
- New Jersey residency requirement: “New Jersey First Act”, N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70).
- Availability to work a minimum of two evenings per week, and up to two weekend days per month.
- Ability to perform the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Able to sit, stand, bend, kneel, climb, push, and pull. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
Salary is $25 per hour for degreed librarians and $20 for students. For a full job description and a job application, please visit the library’s website. To apply, send a completed application, resume, and 3 professional references to Melanie.email@example.com by 7/28/2021. No phone calls please.’