The Chester Library is seeking a dedicated, positive, energetic, and service-oriented individual to join our Library as a Library Assistant. The ideal candidate must enjoy working with the public and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
This is a part-time job with a rotating schedule. Some Saturdays and an evening shift are part of the schedule. The Library is operating on reduced hours and the schedule will change as we return to regular hours. Our current hours are M, T, Th, F, Sat – 10-5 and W 10-8; closed on Sun.
The Chester Library follows all protocols for a safe work environment. At this time, masks are mandatory for staff and patrons, the circulation desk is protected with Plexiglas, frequent touch points in public areas are sanitized regularly, and staff are expected to sanitize their own work areas as necessary.
- Circulation desk duties:
- Charge and discharge materials, issue library cards, reserve items, respond to patron account
- questions, and empty and discharge book drop. Collect money for fines and lost materials.
- Work with other Library Assistants to ensure that the desk is always covered.
- Assist patrons in finding information and resources through the online catalog, Internet and online databases, providing instruction when appropriate. Ask other library staff for help when necessary.
- Stay informed about library programs and services and market and promote them to library patrons where appropriate.
- Process newspapers and mail.
- Shelve library materials, straighten books on shelves, and perform shelf-reading duties as assigned and when necessary.
- Process new materials including labeling, covering and linking in on-line catalog.
- Perform additional duties as needed or as assigned, including any task necessary to help ensure patron safety and smooth operation of the library.
- High school diploma; advanced education a plus.
- Good computer skills are essential. Ability to effectively use the Internet, email, electronic databases, Microsoft Office applications, social media and other library related programs; familiarity with Polaris a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form; ability to respond to or handle difficult situations effectively in cooperation with other staff; ability to work effectively as a team member.
Send resume and references to email@example.com.