LIBRARY AUTOMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT (PART TIME)
Do you have experience and enjoy working in a library’s technical services department? Have you ever wanted to learn and engage in more work on the integrated library system’s (ILS) back-end? Then do we have a job for you! Join the MAIN team as our new Library Automation Systems Assistant to help support and evolve the Polaris ILS. The majority of work will take place remotely and hours will be flexible and vary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists in preparing cataloging metadata for loading into the MAIN integrated library system (ILS), including:
• Exportation/preparation of new cataloging requests;
• Searching database to determine if a requested title already exists or needs updating;
• Updating existing MARC records;
• Creation of yearly magazine/serial records.
• Assists in the selection and importation of eBooks and eAudiobooks for the MAIN central collections.
• Assists in the creation and maintenance of reports as requested by member libraries.
• Assists with regular ILS maintenance tasks.
• Helps maintain data integrity/consistency in other digital platforms.
• Manages the office’s reception area including answering phone, taking messages, and monitoring the employee and guest sign-in sheets when physically at the MAIN office.
• Assists staff members with various office duties or special projects.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Five or more years of library technical services experience OR recent graduate/current student in a library/information science field of study
• Strong understanding of general MARC format principles
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Excel and Word
• Ability to proofread for punctuation, spelling and grammar; excellent written, organizational and oral communication skills
• Positive and cheerful disposition, eager to interact with others face-to-face, via telephone, with email, or on different digital platforms
• Proven track record of “learning on the fly” and history of embracing multitasking
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Previous experience with an integrated library system (Polaris preferred)
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
The position is scheduled for a variable workweek and requires the ability to work on a flexible schedule. MAIN is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and is not subject to the “New Jersey First” state residency requirements.
Work is performed primarily at the MAIN consortium office located at 16 Wing Drive in Cedar Knolls, although occasional visits to member libraries will be required.
Work is performed primarily remotely or in a busy office environment while sitting at a desk or computer station, or while standing for extended periods of time. Periodic or extensive work from home may be necessary. Physical exertion may be required to lift office supplies and library materials up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The need to respond to competing needs or meet deadlines could cause stress at times. Equipment used includes computers and various office machines.
• Hourly wage commensurate with experience and skills, but not to be less than $16.50/hour
• Estimating 10-15 hours of work per month
• Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Preferred Start Date
• Please submit a cover letter and resume to Executive Director Phillip Berg at: email@example.com.
• Please do not call the MAIN Office in regards to this job posting.