Part Time (19 Hours a Week) – Adult Services – Librarian 1
The Hunterdon County Library (HCL) is seeking an energetic team-oriented candidate with a strong public service commitment to provide services in the Adult Services Department. This position reports to Head of Adult Services
The Hunterdon County Library System consists of two regional libraries, one small satellite library, a mobile bookmobile and ongoing support to seven affiliated libraries within the County of Hunterdon. The library is also a member of the M.A.I.N. library consortium of 49 public libraries. The current staff consists of over 60 full and part-time employees. Details about the Hunterdon Library can be found at: http://www.hclibrary.us/ The Hunterdon County Library Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement can be found here: https://hclibrary.us/policies/dei_statement.
RESPONSIBILITIES (MAY INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO):
- Assists patrons in finding desired information or resources and furnishes information on library activities, facilities and services.
- May be required to complete cross-training in one or more specialized areas; and to perform the work in Children’s Services, Technical Services.
- Provides reader services responsive to user needs such as compiling bibliographies and reading lists.
- Organizes and conducts library tours, book talks, film programs, reading clubs, etc. for the purpose of promoting literacy, fostering use of library resources and/or to inform the community and various organizations of available library services.
- Provides research services, answering reference questions and explaining the use and availability of reference sources in all appropriate formats.
- Provides bibliographic instruction using print, electronic and online resources.
- Assists public and staff in making effective use of library equipment and provides formal training and instruction in the effective use of electronic resources.
- Designs, organizes and maintains library materials and electronic resources by using appropriate systems of access that are compatible with the needs and styles of learning of the public.
- Reviews collections to develop or discard/discontinue; assists in the selection and evaluation of resources for delivery in the most appropriate format; may recommend the purchase or rental of library supplies/materials, taking into consideration priority needs and budget limitations.
- Determines content and arrangement of library material for displays, exhibits, and special library programs.
- Gives talks before groups, organizations, co-workers and the public.
- Exchanges ideas, information, and opinions with supervisors to formulate policies, procedures, programs, etc. to provide high quality services.
- Mentors newer staff members.
- Attends seminars and meetings of professional and technical organizations for the purpose of keeping informed about current and emerging library services and technical developments.
- Participates in professional associations concerned with improving methods and techniques of information services.
- Acts as library representative at meetings and conferences.
- Composes publicity releases or program announcements for media, newsletters, or other publications.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with community organizations, school groups, library associates and the general public.
- May provide instruction and technical expertise to nonprofessional and paraprofessional staff.
- Prepares clear, accurate and informative narrative and statistical reports.
- Maintains files and records.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- A Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences in a library program accredited by the American Library Association or from a New Jersey College Master’s program in Library Science that has been deemed acceptable by Thomas Edison State College.
- Applicant must comply with the “NJ First Act.”
- Appointee may be required to possess a valid driver’s license – initial appointment provisional pending Civil Service procedure; 24 hours/week, including some nights & weekends.
Librarian 1 title requires a MLS from an ALA or NJ College Masters program in Library Science that has be deemed acceptable by the Thomas Edison State College.
The Librarian 1 title is a Civil Service governed job position and additional information can be found at https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/07569.htm
Hunterdon County Library offers medical, dental and prescription benefits, vision plan, deferred compensation, paid sick, vacation, personal and holiday leave.
$30.10 per hour
Monday 1:30pm to 9pm
Thursday 1:30pm to 9pm
Saturday 9am to 2pm
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application deadline: February 3rd, 2023
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should mail a cover letter and resume and a complete County Employment Application to Human Resources at 71 Main Street, PO Box 2900, Flemington, NJ 08822 or by email at email@example.com