The Hackettstown Free Public Library is seeking an enthusiastic individual to provide excellent customer service in the position of Library Assistant. Under close supervision, the Library Assistant performs a variety of routine nonprofessional library tasks and does other related duties as required.
This is a part-time, 15-hour per week position with primarily evening hours. Work involves performing detailed clerical tasks in support of the effective daily operation of the library.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Answers phone and routes calls accordingly
- Welcomes patrons entering the library
- Registers new patrons, updates cards, and renews expired library cards
- Checks material in/out
- Assists patrons with information requests and/or finding material
- Instructs and assists patrons in using the automated catalog (OPAC)
- Instructs, assists, and monitors patrons using public PCs
- Fields reference & assistance questions to appropriate staff
- Fields patron complaints to appropriate staff
- Handles basic math calculations with precision; collects fines and fees
- Shelves returned materials
- Manages requests/holds
- High school diploma required
- Prior library experience preferred
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to learn new technology quickly
- Customer-focused: warm, friendly, helpful, courteous, and energetic with a positive attitude
- Knowledge of popular books and media and a desire to share that knowledge with others
- Able to lift books, stand, shelve on low and high shelves
- This position earns $14.13/hr.
Submit the following to Jerry Galante, Library Director, at email@example.com.
- Three professional references
Applications will be accepted until close of business on January 27, 2023.