Hunterdon County Library
Full Time – Librarian 1 – Job Opening Flemington, New Jersey
FULL TIME – LIBRARIAN 1 (Youth Services)
The Hunterdon County Library (HCL) is seeking an energetic team-oriented candidate with a strong public service commitment to take the lead in organizing and the development and coordination of events and services in the Youth Services Department. This position reports to the Head of the Youth Services Department and will help the library meet the goals and objectives in our strategic plan, http://www.hclibrary.us/pdfs/library/strategicplan2021to2024.pdf. This position works at both the Headquarters Library in Flemington and the North County Branch in Clinton.
The Hunterdon County Library System consists of two regional libraries, one small satellite library, a mobile bookmobile and ongoing support to seven affiliated libraries within the County of Hunterdon. The current staff consists of over 70 full and part-time employees. Details about the Hunterdon Library can be found at: http://www.hclibrary.us/
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Plans, implements, and evaluates programs, online and in person, including literacy programming.
• Provides prompt, courteous, and direct assistance to all patrons with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
• Provides reader’s advisory service to connect youth to books matching their interests and reading levels.
• Ensures the library’s collections include relevant print and digital resources aimed at the specific interests and needs of the parents and youth.
• Adopts a community engagement mindset and develops and maintains effective relationships with schools, community groups, agencies and nonprofits.
• Takes a leadership role in developing, implementing and evaluating the library’s role in promoting early literacy skills.
• Mentors newer staff members.
• Determines content and arrangement of library material for displays, exhibits, and special library programs.
• Attends and participates in professional library conferences, seminars, and network committees; reads professional literature; attends and participates in staff meeting discussions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences in a library program accredited by the American Library Association or from a New Jersey College Master’s program in Library Science that has been deemed acceptable by Thomas Edison State College.
• Possess or be able to obtain a New Jersey Professional Library Certificate.
• Knowledge of print and non-print reference and readers’ advisory resources, as well as changes in technology and trends within the library profession.
• Ability to effectively use and demonstrate technology tools including the web, email, electronic databases, e-readers, office applications, as well as other library related programs; ability to learn and adapt to new technologies as required.
• Interpersonal skills – ability to work and interact effectively with others in a positive manner, as well as work under pressure and/or manage stressful situations with courtesy and tact.
• Customer service skills – ability to provide exceptional service to internal and external customers; exceptional oral and written English communications skills; ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Applicant must comply with the “NJ First Act.”
• Appointee may be required to possess a valid driver’s license – initial appointment provisional pending Civil Service procedure; 35 hours/week.
• The Librarian 1 title is a Civil Service governed job position and additional information can be found at https://www.njstatelib.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/LIBRARIAN-1-CSC-Job-Description.pdf
Hunterdon County Library offers medical, dental and prescription benefits, vision plan, deferred compensation, paid sick, vacation, personal and holiday leave.
Monday 9AM – 5PM
Tuesday 1:30PM – 9PM
Wednesday 9AM – 5PM
Thursday 9AM – 5PM
Friday 9AM – 5PM
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
February 12, 2021
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should complete the County Employment Application and mail a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at 71 Main Street, PO Box 2900, Flemington, NJ 08822 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org