The Hackettstown Free Public Library is seeking an enthusiastic, motivated, and creative individual to
provide excellent customer service in the position of Youth Services Library Assistant. Under supervision,
the Library Assistant performs a variety of youth-oriented nonprofessional library tasks and does other
related duties as required.
This is a part-time, 25-hour per week position. Hours include 3 mornings, 2 afternoons, and 1 Saturday
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Schedules and runs story times and other programs for children
- Assists patrons with information requests and/or finding material
- Performs reader’s advisory for children and their guardians
- Shelves returned children’s materials and keeps shelves and room tidy
- Performs circulation duties as needed
- Instructs and assists young patrons in using the automated catalog (OPAC)
- Instructs, assists, and monitors young patrons using AWE gaming computer
- Partners with other groups in the community to arrange programming partnerships and marketing
- High school diploma required
- Prior library experience preferred
- Must enjoy working with children and families
- Prior programming/teaching experience preferred
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to learn new technology quickly
- Customer-focused: warm, friendly, helpful, courteous, and energetic with a positive attitude
- Knowledge of popular children’s books and media and a desire to share that knowledge
- Ability to work independently
- Able to lift books, stand, shelve on low and high shelves
- This position earns $15.50/hr.
Submit the following to Jerry Galante, Library Director, at email@example.com.
- Three professional references
Applications will be accepted until close of business on March 31, 2023.